Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Couple Days To Relax.. And Watch Playoff Hockey! (Days 103 - 105)

(Being the events of:)
APRIL 15 - 17, 2011

After the adventure high of Italy, arriving back in cloudy London should have been a letdown. But I was tired and ready to relax for a couple days - no schedule, no budgeting, my own bed and room. So I took full advantage of it by catching up on both things I missed while I was gone as well as things I'd been meaning to get to.

For some reason, perhaps in anticipation of the battle-like qualities of the NHL playoffs, I was in a WWII mood. Which, of course meant I'd be watching the fantastic 'Band of Brothers' series, as well as checking out the newer 'The Pacific' over the next couple days. So to say the least, there was a lot of tv-watching over the weekend: Band of Brothers, The Pacific, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, No Reservations. I of course had to catch up on everything I missed before I fell too far behind! And I had a lot of time on my hands, what with a lot of people at King's still on vacation.

Along with the TV shows were the Pens games. Playoff hockey. Finally. What an awesome time of the year - just bummed I couldn't be back in the states for it. Oh well. I missed the first game, as it was on Wednesday and I was still in Italy, but a 3-0 win was a fantastic way to start off the series. Game 2 on Friday? Not what I wanted the first playoff game I watch to be: a 5-1 loss to Tampa. Ugly.. Should be an entertaining series though.

In between TV and lounging around, I organized the final details and a general itinerary for my family's visit next week! Pretty excited - it will be nice seeing everyone, and having them pay for everything! Some things on the agenda: a day trip to Bath, seeing Les Mis, some sight-seeing. Should be fun!

But other than that stuff, there wasn't much else to do. Walked around on Saturday, ended up at Lillywhites in Piccadilly - the HUGE sports store with a ton of football gear. Bought an Arsenal hat for kicks since it was on sale for a couple quid, but I was basically window-shopping and wandering the city in the nice weather. Speaking of the weather, TONS of sun coming our way, which is nuts in London. That'll be great for when the fam is here!

The Mall all decked out and busy for the London Marathon on Saturday!

I think I forgot to mention what I was reading during my Italy trip: Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential", which was fantastic. So good. Just a great and hilarious look into Bourdain's cooking background, which I've always been curious about, and into the 'underbelly' of the restaurant business. Plus, all that sardonic commentary you hear on the show today had to come from somewhere, and the book drips with it. Gotta love it. I wonder what his other books are like..

Hmm don't know what else to talk about.. family coming on Monday, nothing really going on until then. If I forgot anything, I'll probably get to it in the next post or whenever.

Good music for the weekend:
The Beatles - 'Good Day Sunshine', off their album 'Revolver'
Song just came on, started singing along, thought I'd throw it on here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big post coming up for the family visit.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment