Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hanging Out, Playoff Hockey, And Some Wedding Thing (Days 114 - 118)

(Being the events of:)
APRIL 26 - 30, 2011

After a week of fun with the family, it was back to the daily routine - and sleeping in! I imagine this is going to be a relatively quick post, with the wedding taking up the majority. But I'll get to that later.

Spring break technically came to an end, but I've still got some time before I have to get down to studying. Not much really went on this week: watched some TV, hung out. And the Pens games.. man, was that disappointing. Wednesday's game 7 was unreal. I was losing it, but we just couldn't put it in the net. After they scored, everyone sort of knew it was over, regardless of the effort they put in afterwards. Powerplay was a disgrace too, but what can you do.. Thank god we'll have Sid and Geno back next season - hopefully we don't lose half the team to injuries again. And here I thought the movie I chose to watch that night might have an affect, especially after I watched that depressing movie Monday night and it resulted in a loss. So Wednesday, I took a brief respite from the WWII flicks and chose to watch 'Kick-ass', in hopes that the Pens would follow suit. Fantastic movie, with some solid scenes and a hilarious performance by Nick Cage - not to mention that like 10-year old girl. Crazy. But, Pens lost, so I guess it wasn't my fault.

Also watched 'The Big Red One', an 80's WWII film featuring yet another Star Wars star: Mark Hamill, or Luke Skywalker. Liked it a lot - much more than a couple of the other ones I've seen. Pretty good stuff!

And I started reading the 'Walking Dead' comic online, which is pretty good. I liked the show a lot, but it was such a short first season that I needed more zombie action to hold me over until the next season in October!

Anyway, on Thursday evening, met up with a bunch of pals and had a 'pre-wedding party':

Including, amongst other yummy things, wedding-themed cupcakes!

Afterwards, we walked around London for a bit, looking at all the decorations for the wedding and all the crazy people camping out overnight to get a good spot along the procession path.

On the big day, I woke up around 10:30 and forced myself to get out of bed and head out to the wedding festivities. It was crazy. I figure it WOULD have been better to go early and get a good spot, but I liked sleeping in, and still saw enough to say I was there! But bad luck struck in the form of my camera running out of battery - so I had to use my lesser-quality iPhone camera..

SO many people!

Couldn't even get closer than this to Trafalgar Square, they gated it off after so long. Still tons of people outside

Eventually wandered around for a somewhat better view of the big screen and watched some of the wedding

After that, I basically wandered around the whole gated area surrounding the procession path, in hopes of finding a place to get in. No dice. I was over by Westminster Abbey, where the wedding was, at one point, but it was nuts over there.

Ended up here, near St. James Palace, pushing through the crowd to try and get a glimpse of the procession on The Mall

SO many people!

Moved a bit to the right, and actually could see enough to see the horses and carriages going past! Too bad my iPhone camera didn't have good enough quality to zoom in and get in on film

After the procession made it to Buckingham, they opened the gates and let us onto The Mall. So many police!

Walking down the crazy-crowded Mall

Outside Buckingham with thousands of other people.


The fly-over!


You could see a couple of the Royals on the balcony, but they're pretty much dots in my pictures..

So many people with crazy outfits

Possibly famous people..? No idea. Big cameras, so thought I'd take a picture to see what it was about.

After all the wedding festivities, pushed my way back through the crowds and headed back to my place for lunch. Eventually, I needed a nap. That night, a couple pals and I went out to a bar called 'Queen of Hoxton', where they were having a wedding-themed party including karaoke and dancing. Best part was  that the karaoke was backed by a fantastic live band! So that was pretty fun

Yay karaoke! As you can imagine, there were good ones and bad ones.. but it was still fun!

But that was pretty much my week. Tonight, I plan on hanging in and taking it easy (on my wallet, mostly!). I'm thinking about watching 'Das Boot', the classic German U-boat WWII film. We'll see. It's like 3 hours long, so I'll see if I'm up for it! Got four finals coming up in May, so I'll probably start studying early this coming week. Other than that, not really a lot going on!

Good music of the moment:
Ratatat - 'Nostrand', off their album 'Classics'
Not a HUGE Ratatat fan, but I do love this song. 1:50 on is my jam. Good stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of a lame post, but oh well. Not a ton going on! I'm up to over 2,000 views now?! Who reads this stuff?!?! Haha :p
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment