Monday, February 21, 2011

A Homework And Music Kind Of Weekend (Day 46 - 49)

(Being the recollection of:)
FEBRUARY 17 - 20, 2011

This is just going to be yet another real quick catch-up post; probably no pictures again.. These little posts are for my own sake mostly - I know no one cares about my daily habits!

Thursday started off with 10-1pm lectures. Pretty standard stuff.. Did some more homework and internship research - contacted some people to see if I could use them as references. Maybe I went grocery shopping..? I don't remember. Probably worked on the blog at some point, and probably chatted with the girlfriend or the 'rents. Who knows, I think it was a boring day. Went to a pub with Elana and Camille that night, but didn't stay out too late. With class at 9am, I called it a night early..

--

9am Friday class = yuck. Came back around noon and ate lunch. Applied to internships all afternoon, got ahead in more homework. I've been writing good music lately, actually. It's been a pretty randomly prolific couple of days. So I probably wrote some more. I hadn't spent any money all day, so I thought I'd treat myself to a good dinner - went around the corner and got some real good fish 'n chips. Watched some Modern Family while I ate - loving that show, man. So funny. Went to 'The Hole In The Wall' pub with Mary for a pint. It's reading week for a lot of people so no one's really been around - traveling, mostly.. Lucky.. Eventually came back, bought a pint of ice cream (also to treat myself!), and watched 'The Thin Red Line', a 1998 war flik about the Battle of Guadalcanal. Pretty good stuff - I came upon it randomly, and it got good reviews, so I thought I'd check it out. Some big names - Sean Penn, Adrien Brody, Woody Harrelson, John Cusack, Nick Nolte. John Travolta, John C. Reilly, and George Clooney in small roles as well. Legit.

--

I was looking forward to our football game Saturday, so when I woke up and saw that it was pouring rain outside, I was hoping for the best.. didn't happen. I got the text a couple minutes later saying the match was cancelled due to bad pitch conditions.. bummer. Oh well, I got to sleep some more. Saturday turned out really boring, actually. We had high hopes for doing karaoke with a bunch of people that night, but everyone bailed - either due to being sick, or busy, or wanting to get work done. I didn't end up doing anything except more homework and other odds and ends. Wrote some more music though, which was a definite plus. Ended up watching 'Apocalypse Now!' which I'd been meaning to watch for some time. If you somehow don't know it, it's a 1979 Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather director) film about the Vietnam War. Martin Sheen is a special ops soldier sent through Vietnam and up into Cambodia to find and kill Marlon Brando (the Godfather himself), a decorated officer who has gone insane and is running inhumane operations on his own. Not going to lie, my main motivation for wanting to see this, other than it being a supposedly great movie: Anthony Bourdain loves it. And that guy is my hero. But that's a story for another day.. All in all, great film with solid performances and brief appearances by Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall, and a young (almost unrecognizable) Lawrence Fishburne. Ate some more of that ice cream, too (what, did you think I ate the whole thing last night? I have standards.. sort of..). Night..

--

Another sleepy Sunday - eventually woke up and screwed around for a bit in the afternoon. Watched the London/Edinburgh episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (easily one of my favorite shows) just to see if there was any place in London that he recommends. A couple cool places, but no where I can see myself getting to while I'm here. Bummer. Eventually forced myself to focus and finished a medium-sized programming assignment due this coming Friday. Easy-peasy. Wrote some more music, finished off some more work/odds and ends to get ahead since I have a Thermo exam coming up Friday and I'm going to need time to study. Not much else going on. Chatted with Brittney and the parents. Watched the Pens, but they lost in a shootout. The awesomeness of NBC showing a live feed of the game online is completely drowned out by how terrible Doc Emrick's commentary can get.. Geez.. I'll take Errey and Steigy any day. Made a frozen pizza for myself while I watched the game. Awesome. Worked on the blog and watched some Lost, watched some Modern Family, saved the final scoops of the ice cream for my next movie night.. 9am class tomorrow, so called it a night early. On a side-note, my room light started flickering, so I gotta get that fixed. Until then, I'm running on daylight and the bathroom light. Nice.

A pretty boring couple of days, but some good times should be happening this week woooo

Good music of the moment:
The Kooks - "Sofa Song", off their awesome album "Inside In/Inside Out"
A good ol' English (actually from Brighton) indie pop band with some great songs. Love 'em.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty much caught up now. I'll try to keep these posts from getting too boring or pointless. No promises haha!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment