Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's And A Boring Couple Of Days (Days 42 - 44)

(Being the re-telling of:)
FEBRUARY 13 - 15, 2011

Just a warning, there's no pics in this update - just catching up a bit..

I slept in on Sunday, which was nice after a week of waking up early. Fiddled around, ate lunch, and eventually got to work on some things I wanted to get done: math problem set, operating systems exercises,  internship research. That afternoon my pal Yuliya and I planned out our spring break week in Italy. It's official:

Flying into Venice early the 6th
April 6 - 7 in Venice
April 8 train to Florence
April 8 - 10 in Florence
April 11 train to Rome
April 11 - 13 in Rome
Fly out early the 14th

Should be a good time - I'm excited to see everything! Plus, I have a friend and cousin both studying near Rome, so maybe I'll get to see them!

After that, I did some more work and made dinner. Hung around and eventually Skyped with the parents and the girlfriend. Probably worked on updating the blog at some point - I've been re-watching the 6th season of Lost again, keeping it in the corner of the screen while I write the updates. I had started re-watching the whole series back during last summer, but only did it sparingly. Then in December, right after I finished the 5th season, I pretty much stopped. So I thought I'd pick it up again just to finish it! Called it a night early with 9am class in the morning..

--

Happy Valentine's Day! A nice way to start it: early, boring lectures.. Came back, ate lunch, and did some more work and other odds and ends. Wished Brittney a happy Valentine's, plus the previous Friday was our 2-year! I felt bad that I didn't get her anything (low budget..), but she's visiting in a couple weeks and I plan on taking her out to a nice dinner. So that's exciting, I'm looking forward to her visiting!

That evening, after dinner, went and picked up some beers with a couple friends and came back to have a night of bad romantic comedy drinking games for V-day! Although we were originally looking for 'bad' rom-coms, we settled on 'She's Out Of My League' and 'The Wedding Singer', which are both pretty good actually! We instead played a generic rom-com drinking game and added our own twists here and there. And 'She's Out Of My League' was filmed in Pittsburgh, so I got to show everyone all the places I recognized! It was a good time, and a fun way to spend Valentine's Day that didn't involve going to a club or anything like that.. Watched an episode of Modern Family before I went to bed - it's really a hilarious show; definitely loving it so far, and I'm only a couple episodes in.

--

Slept in again on Tuesday, which was great. Went and bought some groceries at Iceland, did some more odds and ends around the apartment.. another pretty boring day. I honestly can't remember anything exciting happening. Did some more internship research, then made dinner. Probably worked on the blog some more and watched another episode of Lost. That night, I watched the movie 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer. It was really good actually; another great performance by Downey and a surprisingly hilarious turn by Kilmer. Wikipedia describes it as a crime/dark comedy, which is pretty accurate - it's also narrated by Downey in an offhand/sarcastic way that breaks the fourth wall and is actually really funny. Definitely a random, but good find. Lights out..

Good music of the moment:
of Montreal - "Everything Disappears When You Come Around", off their 1998 debut album "Cherry Peel"
I love this band, and they have such a huge range of musical style - although their current stuff is very synth/pop-heavy, this album demonstrated a very acoustic/folk feel in a style reminiscent of an older time.. Great stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, this is just a brief update to catch up a bit. The next update is actually going to be a big one, but I'll keep it a surprise! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment