Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Week That Was (Days 29 - 32)

(Being the recollection of:)
JANUARY 31 - February 3, 2011

Well. It's been a while, sorry. It's not that I've been that busy.. I've just been working on other things and keeping myself busy. Here's a quick rehash of the last couple days:

Monday started with 9am lecture, which was pretty awful after the already-boring weekend. The professor read straight off the slides that she had already handed out, so it was barely worth it to pay attention. To keep myself occupied though, I was one of the only people answering some of the questions at the end. It was actually kind of funny watching people's heads turn when they heard my American accent. Oh well. Anyway, I did some errands Monday afternoon: grocery shopping, etc. Did some research for Italy and just kind of hung around the rest of the afternoon. After dinner, I met up with some people to pre-game and head out to a cheap club called Moonlighter's or 'Moony's' to the locals. Only ₤1.50 to get in on student night, and ₤1.50 bottles of Carlsberg so I was pretty happy.
3am by the time I got home. Goodnight haha.

--

It was great sleeping in on Tuesday. More hanging around/getting work done/researching. Thermo 5-6pm, then dinner. Got invited to check out the Ministry of Sound, another club nearby offering a student night, but I declined - Wednesday night I was going out with some guys from the football club, so I saved my money. Watched 'Dark City', another sci-fi flick form 1998 that I heard was pretty good. It starred the bad guy from 'A Knight's Tale', as well as Kiefer Sutherland in the weirdest and most un-Jack Bauer-like role ever. But it was pretty good. It's about a city with no daylight that's controlled by these telekinetic alien guys, but then one human (who's also suffering from memory loss) wakes up with the telekinetic abilities and fights back. Intriguing premise, decent acting, and no complaints on the whole.
A quiet, relaxing night.

Some pics from the day:

No idea what this building is, but I use its clock to make sure I'm on time everyday. From Waterloo Bridge, looking left

Somerset House. A beautiful old building, and now part of KCL's Strand Campus, which is mainly in the right half of the building and extends a little farther to the right.

Inside the main courtyard of Somerset House. Just great architecture. Campus is to the left, Strand Road is behind me, the river straight ahead on the other side.

--

Just one lecture 10-11am Wednesday. After a quick lunch, met up with the lads at the station and hopped a 15 minute train to Berrylands, where our home pitch is. The game wasn't too bad, even though the score doesn't show it: we lost 3-0. Two of their goals were terrible: the first, our keeper flubbed a clearing attempt right to their striker; the second, our defender and their striker collide and go down in our box - our defender's nose is spewing blood so we all think play has stopped. Even the other team stop to see if they're OK, but then one kid just walks over and kicks the ball in the net and the old ref just gives it. Their third goal was alright, but in the end it was an easily draw-able game - we had our chances, we just couldn't find the back of the net. I played right midfield so it was a lot of running back and forth, but I didn't get many looks at the net. Our team didn't look too bad though, so we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

Afterwards, stopped home to shower and eat dinner. Then it was off to the student union pub, The Waterfront, for a couple pints with some of the lads from the squad. It was pretty fun - watched Newcastle lose to Fulham, but a pretty boring game overall. I wasn't up for hitting a club afterwards, so I just called it a night and came back. Hit the sack early with a 10am lecture in the morning.
Advil for the dent in my knee from someone's cleat today. Goodnight.

--

This morning my lectures just kind of dragged on. I picked up an 11am tutorial for my Abstract Algebra class so now my Thursday classes are straight 10-1pm. Afterwards, went and checked out the hotel my parents are staying in:

The Park Plaza Westminster Bridge hotel. Really nice.

The view from the hotel

I just liked this building - the County Halls, I think, near the hotel

Pretty sweet-looking place with a lot of stuff in the area, right across the bridge from Big Ben and only a 10-minute walk from my apartment. Should be a good time when they come - April 18-25, last week of my Spring break. Looking forward to not having to pay for everything myself!

Did some more errands: a couple groceries, exchanged some pounds for euros for Dublin this weekend (soo pumped), printed off my boarding pass for my flight home Sunday night, and took a picture of my apartment complex since I don't think I've shown you guys yet:

Stamford Street Apartments, from the outside (my window is up in the top left, where they're slanted, probably 8th or so from the left)

The inner courtyard - my section of the building is to the left

Then ate lunch and pretty much got to work on getting ahead in my homework; I have two exams next week with some coursework in between, so I'm trying to get ahead and not worry about all of that this weekend in Dublin. After dinner, I worked on-and-off and watched some Dexter (trying to catch up to the end of the 4th season so I can watch the 5th season with some people around here). Skyped with Brittney for a bit, trying to plan what we're doing when she visits (can't wait!). And that's pretty much what I did up until now. Tried to make it a quick update, sorry - I'll be taking a ton of pictures in Dublin so I'll need time to get that post up next week. Tomorrow's a busy day though, lots of lectures. Time to get some shut-eye.

Good music of the moment:
Death Cab For Cutie - "The Sound of Settling", off their album "Transatlanticism"
Great bands, and one of my favorite songs of all-time. Bah bahhhhhh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to take a moment for my Aunt Ginger's father, who I just heard passed away recently. My deepest sympathies to you and your family, Ginger. He sounded like a great guy.. you and your family will be in my prayers!

Dublin on the horizon.. can't wait..
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment