Saturday, January 29, 2011

Another Busy Friday (Day 26)

(Being the events of yesterday:)
JANUARY 28, 2011

London, UK

I hope constant updates don't annoy you guys - to get to the good ones, just use use the list on the right side of the page and I'll try make the titles relevant. This is more for my sake anyway, so I can look back and have all these pictures and memories. It's like a less-lame version of a journal. Anyway..

Friday is, sadly, my busiest day of the week lecture-wise. 9-12pm Software Engineering lectures, 4-5pm Thermo lecture, and 5-6pm Abstract Algebra lecture. The break in between is nice I guess; I'll probably turn that into nap time as the semester progresses. At this point, while there isn't much to do, I usually just hang around and do anything that needs to get done. Or reevaluate my budget. For like the 40th time. Geez. London is expensive, even at a £10 per day budget - which is actually pretty cheap, considering I'm on my own for all meals and other expenses.

Although, I guess I did do some walking around between lectures today - I needed a pencil-sharpener and a mini stapler so I went over to Fleet Street to a Ryman, which is like a mini Office Depot. Pics of the day:

Some neat old buildings

I liked this clock tower

Yup, that's a dragon on top

So yeah, that's over on Fleet Street, which connects to Strand (the street my campus is on) on the east end. Neat place - a mix of old architecture and modern shops/restaurants. Over near there is a pub called Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, which I really want to go to - it's been around since the 17th century and is said to have held the likes of Mark Twain, Alfred Tennyson, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! So we'll see when I can find time to get over to there.

Last night, a bunch of us stopped at the liquor store around the corner and bought a bunch of cheap wine and cider and just hung out in one of our kitchens for the night. It was a pretty good time - very laid back and fun! I called it a night around 12:30am and came back to my place, but watched an episode of Dexter before I hit the sack. Excellent show, although the 3rd season is a bit slow (I'm almost through it though). The first two seasons were fantastics though, so I highly recommend it.

I got a text this afternoon from my football club's captain - the match tomorrow morning had been cancelled. I was a little bummed, but I guess it will be nice to sleep in! Oh well..

Goodnight!

Good music of the moment:
Radical Face - "Welcome Home", off their album "Ghost"
A very unheard-of indie Florida group I picked up on last year. I love this song, and the album is slowly growing on me. Good stuff, pretty mellow indie/folk sound, but somehow different from the norm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much else to say, just a pretty boring/normal daily update. NHL All-Star Game this weekend, maybe I'll be able to catch a bit of it, even if Crosby and Malkin aren't playing.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment