Sunday, January 23, 2011

Remembering My Grandfather, Maurice E. 'Maurie' Lerch

Kindly allow this short reprieve from my typical daily update.

I'd like to take a moment to remember my grandfather, Maurie, who passed away last week, 18 January 2011. From here-on out, I'll refer to him as 'Grandpa', for that's how I always knew him, and will always remember him.

When most people think of my grandfather, they recognize his abundance of love and care for his family, his tremendous commitment to his church and his prior work at Heinz, his decorated military career and service for his country during the Second World War, and above all, his personality as an engaging, funny, charismatic, disciplined, faithful, and loving person. Of course, I see and admire all of these things about my grandfather, but it's funny how the things that come so easily to my mind aren't things at all, but memories of the great and happy times we shared together - or memories of the love and support that he's always been there to give me. Through every milestone in my life, all the way from baptism to high school graduation, Grandpa has been there, not only as a supportive family member, but as a model to live up to and idolize. With all the happy memories - of Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter celebrations, or birthday parties and parish festivals, or even just the simple afternoon visits - there's no way that I could ever forget my grandfather and his influence over my own life. He'll live on forever in the hearts and memories of all his children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren.

The hardest part of all of this, for me, is being thousands of miles away. Not being able to say goodbye, or to grieve with my family; not being able to console the others, or even laugh and reflect on all the good times. It's difficult - like some sort of disconnect between my temporary life abroad and the reality continuing on at home. With something like this, every molecule of my being wishes to be home to help and to say goodbye. But at the same time, I realize the impracticality, or even the impossibility, of such actions. And so I move on: I go to lecture, I go out with friends to a pub - it's not like I go around telling everyone what's going on, I like to keep these things inside. It's just the way I work.

But this isn't to say that I'm walking around all down-in-the-dumps! I'm in London! There's no time to be sad here, people have places to be and things to do!

I loved my grandfather very much, and I will certainly miss him - I can't imagine going home without him being there to say hello and to ask me when I'm going to shave my goatee. And I wish more than anything that I could've gone home to help my family and to say goodbye. But I think he would understand - although he might have something to say about it when I see him again..

SO. I raise a glass to my grandfather - a great man, a loving father, and a life-long friend and mentor. I know you're already up there eating all the sweets and cookies you want, striking up conversations with all the young gals, and watching over me as I continue to follow in your footsteps, just hoping to become half the man that you were. Here's to Maurie Lerch, who died at the ripe old age of 88 and lived a long, fruitful, and happy life - may you rest in peace, Grandpa. I miss you already and will never forget you!

I'll see you on the other side - save me a seat!

No comments:

Post a Comment