Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Walk Through Jolly Ol' London

(Being the events of:)
JANUARY 9, 2010

First beautiful day during my stay in London. The sun is out, the sky is blue, and it's still 0 degrees. Celsius, that is. For the American readers, it's a whopping 32 degrees. Still, it's a perfect day for a walking tour through all of the big London sights. And it's a perfect walking tour for the perfect day: it's free! Several friends and I make our way to the Waterloo Station tube, take the Jubilee line to Green Park Station, then hop over onto the Piccadilly line until we arrive at Hyde Park, where the tour begins:







Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington


The Wellington Arch


Our tour-guide, JP! It was his last tour and he was very sad.. But he was great!





Buckingham Palace






The Queen was home!

"Oh man, I'm in London!"



Miniature changing of the guards.


St. James' Palace

Quite right, old chap.

The grand ol' Duke of York.







He's on a horse.

St. Martin-in-the-Fields

National Galleries

World's largest ship-in-a-bottle

Admiral Nelson's column at Trafalgar Square










An ambulance and a police car

Horse Guards





Somewhere over near here is 10 Downing Street, the Prime Minister's home


What a crazy tree..

A pink pelican





Churchill's War Rooms. I definitely want to check them out later, so I'll get pictures then


There he is.



I love their phonebooths! Can you hear me now?

'ello 'ello!



Lincoln?! What the hell you doin' here, mate? Get back to 'murica

Westminster Abbey. So amazing..



Just.. wow.






Did you know that 'Big Ben' is actually the name of the bell in the tower and not the tower itself? Fun fact for you.


Houses of Parliament






I don't remember what this place was called (I swear it was 'Something' Palace..), but it was the place where Guy Fawkes and his pals planned to carry out the Gunpowder Plot.

Then I volunteered to have JP show everyone how they would kill someone for treason:

First you're hanged and dropped several times. But not enough to kill you..

Then they cut you open and pull out all your guts 'Braveheart'-style. 'Tis but a scratch..

Then they rip out you're (possibly still-beating) heart! And burn it! Hooray!

"Freeeeeeeeeeddddoooooommmmmm" is what I would have shouted if they hadn't just cut off my head.. Yeah.. That'll top off a pretty bad day.

Then, just to add insult to injury, they rip off all your arms and legs and spread them across London! That's what I call a good time!

Come back here! I can still bite you!!!

Well, after a long day of touring, and being thoroughly dismembered, I'm ready for a pint..

Good music to see the sights to:
Wilco - "Impossible Germany", off their album 'Sky Blue Sky'
Wilco has a great sound. Just so chill. And so good.

Good music to get dismembered to:
We Butter the Bread With Butter - "13 Wunsche", off their album "Der Tag an dem die Welt Unterging"
Nothing like some good German electro-deathcore to get your blood pumping.. out of your headless torso.. 

It's just a flesh-wound!!

Gross. Shout out to Mike and Nick Rad though. Love and miss you guys. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I would love to say that my day ended right then; I grabbed a pint and walked off into the sunset.. But no! We then went to Harrod's! So expect some good pictures of stuff like 9,000 pound (the money, not the weight) pillows and 100,000 pound watches when I post the next blog.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment