Friday, January 28, 2011

Chinese and Waffles

(Being the summary of yesterday:)
JANUARY 27, 2011

After an uneventful beginning to my week, I was hopeful that, with the weekend in sight, there would be a little more excitement for my schedule. Thursday started off with little sense of urgency: a 10am lecture, followed by an hour break before my next lecture at noon. During the hour, I went over to Tesco and grabbed a chocolate baguette for breakfast, which was pretty good actually. After the second, and last,  lecture of the day, it was another boring afternoon. However, whereas my plan was originally to spend the majority of the day studying for my Thermo exam on Friday, my professor announced this morning that he had cancelled it! There was something about us not having learned enough yet.. but all I heard was "Exam" and "Cancelled", so I just kind of assumed the rest was irrelevant.

So now that I had nothing to study for, I decided I'd finish off the math worksheet from the night before and then just lounge around. So that's what I did. The whole time, however, I was trying to organize dinner, with a focus on heading up to Chinatown - I'd been meaning to go up there since I've heard a lot of good things. Eventually I rounded up a group and we made our way up there - it's only like a 25 minute walk, a little west of Covent Garden and right next to Leicester Square. Here's some pics of the area:



Sorry about the blurriness..

Loved all the decorations. Really neat

It was a pretty cool area, and larger than I thought. I think their site says there's a little under 80 restaurants, and from what I saw, that's probably true. The prices ranged from cheap buffet-style to upscale and classy. One of Elana's English flat-mates, Dylan, came with us and used his experience to show us the good places. Skipping past the buffets, which we heard were actually pretty bad, we went to a cool place called Lido:

Yum!

It was pretty good! Although we probably could have found more authentic places if we tries, this place was great and decent price-wise. I'll probably head back to Chinatown at some point to see try a couple more of the places, it seemed like there was just so much going on.

Anyways, after that, Dylan led us to a place called Ed's Diner that was fashioned like a 1950's American diner for dessert. It was pretty awesome!

Complete with little mini-jukeboxes!

Cool place!

Their milkshakes looked real good, but I was all about the waffles with chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream:

Heaven on a plate

After two delicious and filling meals, I needed the long walk home - we took a different way that took us over the Jubilee Bridge. It's a pretty neat pedestrian suspension bridge:

The Jubilee Bridge. Bid Ben is to the right, but there's another bridge for the rail so you can't see it.

We ended the night by watching a couple episodes of 30 Rock and then hanging out with more of Elana's flat-mates and neighbors!

I called it a night around midnight (or 00:00 here..) so as to get home and get some sleep before my 9am lecture in the morning.. yikes.. 
Goodnight!

Good music that I'm listening to right now:
Grizzly Bear - "Central And Remote", from their album "Yellow House"
A pretty good experimental/indie band with an interesting sound. Pretty chill stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much else to say. On days when nothing's going on, I may try to keep with like a 'photo-per-day' feature where I explain a picture of something cool in my area or a place where I went that day. Who knows? Getting ready for more lectures this afternoon..
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment